Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Finally Finished

I finally finished Pride and Prejudice. If you know me very well, you will know that I am one who will read a book in two days. So you can tell how much I liked this one since it took me two months to read. I was bound and determine to finish it and I will never read it again. So if anyone else joined me and read Pride and Prejudice I would love to know what you thought. Most people love it so maybe I am just weird. I am now looking for a new book to read and I would love love love your suggestions.

10 comments:

the Murphys said...

The latest Twilight book is going to be coming out in a few weeks!

The Allens said...

I was really annoyed that I couldn't think of the name of that book when I saw you at the library so I came home and looked it up. It's called The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. It's a true story about this lady during WWII. The beginning is a little slow because it's a lot of character development, but it's not that bad and the story really gets good as you go along. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I hated Pride and Prejudice. Its such a stupid book. And Im so glad someone else agrees with me. If you ate looking for classics to read I liked Dracula- a little creepy but I liked it. The Jungle iis also good and Heart of Darkness.

The McClellan Family said...

I can't believe you didn't like P&P! It's absolutely my favorite book of all time! But the language is hard, it kind of makes it hard to get into! Good job finishing it! So I started a monthly book club on my blog in June. June's book was These is my Words by Nancy E. Turner, and July's book is Snow Flower and The Secret Fan by Lisa See. I LOVE to read to! These is my words is awesome. you'll love it!

Cindy said...

I'm reading a book I had recommended to me called "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind. I think it was originally written in German or French and then translated. It's kind of old school (vintage if you like that word better :). But very interesting. You'll get so many recommendations here you won't know where to start!

Brooke said...

I love Pride and Prejudice, but I watched the old BBC movie with Colin Firth before I read it the first time. It definitely made it easier to understand their conversations. Watch the BBC movie before you swear off everything to do with P&P. It makes a big difference. I just read Stephenie Meyer's new book, "The Host." I reviewed it on my blog. If you are like me, the whole alien thing seemed like too much of a stretch for my imagination. But, surprisingly I really liked it, in some ways better than "Twilight." So, if you have a some late nights available (I read it in two) try "The Host." It is worth it!

Shani said...

I am about 2/3 of the way through it, so I will hurry and finish so we can discuss it at the family reunion.

Anonymous said...

Brandi -

Ditto on the BBC version of pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth - A must - my all time favorite movie! Much easier to understand and love the book after watching the movie - I promise.
I am reading I Capture the Castle and like it - good so far.
These is My Words is good but I didn't like the sequel, Sarah's Quilt as well.
One of my all time favorites is Celia Garth by Gwen Bristow. I read it for the first time when I was in young and it is the only book I've read more than once. Out of print but you might find it at a library.
My second all time favorites - Eldorado and The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy.
Try Maniac Magee and Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli - young teen books but I love this type of literature - always a quick easy read but some great stuff.
Some more of my favorites in this genre - Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
The Slave Dancer by Paula Fox
try this and let me know then I'll give you some more.
Really though, Brandi - some night when Mitch is out of town, get Pride and Prejudice (it is several hours) - it truly is a treat and Colin Firth is fabulous.
Also, watch Emma with Gwenyth Paltow and Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Kate Winslow. I think you will develop an appreciation for this type of literature.
Love you - Jackie

Burk Family said...

I thought that the A&E miniseries was so close to the book that it was kindof a time waster to read it but its just one of those classics you have to read in your life. It's not a vivid as modern writing, I think. As for recommendations...Uhh..I don't really read much any more. Sorry. And my memory of you (sorry, this is a sad one) is when you got that letter from that loser Hutch Buff Hansen breaking things off on his mission and you were so heart broken and you made me cry. It was so sad. Thanks for scarring me by hanging Bunbun, though. My like has never been the same.

Shelley said...

I am on a reading kick right now. Sophie Kinsella is my new favorite author. "Undomestic Godess" and "Confessions of a shopaholic" are great. They are both laugh out loud funny. -Props to you for getting through pride and predjudice. I would give up and rent the movie. ;)